New Town – the 15-Minute Convenient City
What do you seek the most while choosing a city for your dream abode or business address? Convenience is the veritable response. It’s the key to the success of an evolved urban living. And Kolkata’s smartest satellite city New Town embodies convenience like no other.
After all, it is defined by a 15-minute convenience inner circle, aided by an equally resourceful 30-minute catchment area that take care of almost every possible need. Hospitals, schools, colleges, universities, shopping malls, multiplexes, hotels, restaurants, leisure parks, financial and IT hubs, metro stations, bus terminus and even an airport in the vicinity… you name it and New Town has all modern amenities and urban infrastructure within easy reach!
Here are 10 reasons why this super-convenient circle is the pride and love of any New Town resident or visitor.
- Central Business District: From Sector V in Salt Lake to the special economic zones and IT parks such as DLF IT Park, Technopolis, TCS Gitanjali, Ecospace Business Park and more all-around, New Town offers the best of business ecosystems in Kolkata. From giant conglomerates to small businesses, there are smart workspaces in this 15-minute circle of the smart town. The upcoming Fin-Tech Hub and the High Court campus is expected to add to the CBD sheen.
- Healthcare: From one of the best cancer research institutes of the country to a top-notch mother and child care hospital, New Town offers some of the best names in healthcare. Sankara Nethralaya, OHIO Multi-Specialty Hospital, HCG EKO Cancer Centre, Tata Medical Center, Bhagirathi Neotia Woman and Child Care Centre are already some of the trusted names, while upcoming healthcare destinations include Belle Vue Clinic.
- Education: Having renowned educational institutes within reach is a privilege in today’s urban spaces. While A-1 schools like Delhi Public School New Town and Techno International and The New Town School ensure sound education for your kids, those looking for higher studies options now have equally excellent destinations to choose from, such as Presidency University, St. Xavier’s University, Amity University and Sister Nivedita University.
- Art & Entertainment: Today New Town can boast of a separate itinerary of its own set of art and entertainment destinations. Starting from the centre of the city at the famed and much Instagram-ed Biswa Bangla Gate to Eco Park, the largest recreation destination with stunning green meadows, lakes and art installations, New Town will leave you spoilt for choice when it comes to entertainment. Auditoriums like Nazrul Tirtha, Rabindra Tirtha and other multiplexes as well as standalone museums such as Mother’s Wax Museum and art galleries like Artsacre Museum of Bengal Modern Art, Smart Art Gallery and Art Street need more than just a weekend to explore!
- Lifestyle Hubs: With five happening shopping malls within New Town, residents need not leave the 15-minute circle for any of their retail needs. City Centre New Town as well as City Centre Salt Lake, Axis Mall, Central mall and DLF Galleria are where you not only shop and dine but also hang out with friends and family without compromising on the quality of the experience.
- Connectivity: Easy access to your preferred destinations is as important as the destinations themselves. New Town’s arterial road network coupled with the upcoming Metro Railway route and the presence of an international airport just a 30-minute drive away makes the satellite city one of the best connected neighbourhood in the extended region. For those fond of cycling, there are app-based bicycles available with dedicated cycling lanes by the major thoroughfares.
- Residential Condominiums: All the conveniences and modern amenities of New Town can only be cherished if one has an address to proudly call home. And that’s the best part of New Town, which has seen a flourishing residential real estate development, with sustainable features. Some of the leading real estate developers have launched both luxury as well as affordable residential condominiums here, attracting an eclectic mix of people to be part of the New Town milieu.
- Smart City Amenities: A city is known by how it functions. And in New Town, the local administration has left no stone unturned to bring the privileges of an international smart city. New Town has been ranked 8th out of the 100 smart cities in the country, and certified as ‘Enabled’ in the Data Maturity Assessment Framework 2.0. The smart features include public Wifi zones, sharing smart working pods, smart water metres, public e-vehicle charging points, and more!
- Green City: New Town is also shifting towards being a more sustainable neighbourhood with green initiatives such as bio toilets, canal-top solar plants and solar lighting, electric buses and battery-run vehicles to combat the impact of climate change. New Town is the fifth city to be awarded the ‘platinum-rated Green City certificate’ by the Indian Green Building Council. Office spaces like Ecospace Business Park have integrated public greens, open spaces and water bodies into their designs. The public spaces and roads have been amply lined with trees and grass cover, thus reducing the heat island effect significantly while making the city look soothing and refreshing at the same time.
- Public Art and Beautification: The authorities have also put in a lot of effort to create public art spaces with commissioned art installations along the main roadways and subways. One drive through the city will make you fall in love with New Town, with the beauty of the green and artful roads and buildings, parks and public spaces boosting the beauty of the smart city manifold. Not just public art, but the flowering trees and shrubs such as frangipani, add a touch of natural beauty to the cityscape. For instance, late spring saw the blooming Cherry Blossom trees paint a pretty pink picture that stays with you long after.